Hamm beta upgrade to Slink

Howdy...

I have a machine here running a beta of Hamm, probably from before Hamm
was frozen.  I'm trying to get apt going on this machine so that I can
upgrade it to slink.

I manually installed apt, libc6, libstdc++2.9 and such from slink and
then resolved as many of the conflicts and such by hand as I could.
However, I'm not sure what to do about this one:

gusgus:~ # apt-get check
Updating package file cache...done
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  apt: Depends:libc6

Libc6 is, of course, installed:

gusgus:~ # dpkg -s libc6
Package: libc6
Section: base
Installed-Size: 1582
Maintainer: Joel Klecker <glibc-maint@debian.org>
Source: glibc
Version: 2.0.7-19981211-1
Replaces: libc6-dev, ldso
Pre-Depends: ldso (>= 1.8.10-1)
Recommends: timezone, locales
Conflicts: libc5 (<< 5.4.33-7), libpthread0 (<< 0.7-10), libstdc++2.8 (= 2.90.29-1), libstdc++2.9 (<< 2.91.59-2)
 Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on
 the system. This package includes shared versions of the standard C library
 and the standard math library among others.

Any ideas how to get around this one?  I'm using apt version 0.1.9.  Thanks!

PeeWee

--
email: peewee@scc.mi.org - useless: http://www.scc.mi.org/peewee/ - efnet: Pwe
"Bad signs are everywhere coach. I tend to ignore them" The Era of Big Numbers