Re: Chat scrpit trouble

Terry Maton wrote:

> I am new user and I am having a real problem connecting to my isp.
> First yes I do have a win modem and from what I hear it isnt a good
> start. But onto the problem, when I run the logs for chat script I get
> down to the "expect ok" then I get "alarm" then "failed"
> Then the system says "pppconnect script failed"
> "exit".
> ANy help you can give I would appreciate, I talked to a user on irc
> and he suspects "no carrier" but I am using the same system with win98
> . HELP!
> Terry Marton

<disclaimer>
These opinions are mine, and have nothing to do with the Linux community
</disclaimer>

Sorry bud, but your winmodem isn't really a modem.  From what i
understand, it
is a chopped down sound card that needs special drivers to understand
what the
phone line is telling it.  These drivers are PROPRIETARY ie secret.  It
seems
that no-one in the Linux community is willing/able to write drivers for
these.
Not that I blame them its like playing darts blindfolded on a turntable,
you
may hit the target....but only by trial an error. and to boot you won't
even
know if you have hit it.

Jeff Katcher