Starting KDE at boot time

Okay, I have my system running, and X runs, and xdm runs, and kdm runs and I
can get the KDE environment up.  But I have some questions on how to do all of
this automagically.

1) About runlevels, I currently run at level 2, do I just change the value in
the inittab to 5 and be done with it?  or are there more things to consider?

2) I figured out how xdm starts.  Init does it via the rc.* files.  All of
them link back to /etc/init.d/xdm - a script that does the dirty work.  It
uses start-stop-daemon to actually start the xdm program.  Question is, I need
to start kdm instead of xdm.  Is it acceptable to just rename the xdm program
to xdm.old and put a link to kdm in it's place?  or is it better to change the
script to start kdm?

3) When I bring KDE up currently, I do the following:

	startx
	startkde

	The startx is self-explanatory.  The startkde brings up the kwm and other KDE
utils that bring up the desktop.  There are actually 5 or 6 things that get
started.  How do I get all of these to come up when kdm starts?  The
instructions with KDE didn't help much.  Should I just add these to the bottom
of the xdm script in init.d?  Or is there a better way to do it?

TIA for the help.

-Jay