RE: Switch to Red Hat?

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, jim r wrote:

>  I, too, suffered from 'should I move to RH' syndrome. Debian
> slink..(potato is too broken for my tastes....that and the fact that I'm
> doing dial up in Germany, so time on-line is at a premium for the cost)
> seems to get updated SO SLOWLY, whilest RH moves along at a brisk pace.

Slink gets updated infrequently because it is FROZEN. Only bugfixes are
supposed to be added.  Red Hat gets updated more frequently because there
are more bugs.  Debian is slower than Red Hat in its release cycle because
they start a new devel release before the previous one is released and all
the developers jump to unstable and ignore frozen. This is the reason most
development projects do not open the new devel tree until the last one is
released ... it keeps people focused ... maybe even some time after
initial release to keep people around for major bugfixes.

Linus froze 2.1 and is now in pre-2.2 but do you see a 2.3 tree yet????
Nope. Why? Because pre2.2 bugs would never get fixed. Everyone would jump
to 2.3.

George Bonser