Re: [PERTAMINA/PIMPD/POSTMASTER: Mail failure]

Marc.Haber-lists@gmx.de (Marc Haber) writes:

> I doubt that Pertamina is aware of that - they don't even have
> postmaster. Had to look them up in the RIPE DB.
>
> Which RfC mandates bounces going to the envelope sender?

RFC 1123 (aka STD 3), Host Requirements, section 5.3.3.  In part:

         If there is a delivery failure after acceptance of a message,
         the receiver-SMTP MUST formulate and mail a notification
         message.  This notification MUST be sent using a null ("<>")
         reverse path in the envelope; see Section 3.6 of RFC-821.  The
         recipient of this notification SHOULD be the address from the
         envelope return path (or the Return-Path: line).

So it's not actually required, just encouraged.  Software written
nearly ten years after the standard was published should be able to do
this, though, and it's what mailing list software expects.

It's also not using a null envelope sender in its message, which it
MUST do.  Elsewhere in this RFC is the requirement for a "postmaster"
mailbox.  I suppose I should wish them luck...

		  Larry froze.  Was the bag a trap?
  He could see the way in, but the other end appeared to be sealed.