Upgrade has hosed my system :-(

Well after my last post I decided to go ahead and try upgrading one of my
Debian 1.3.1 systems.,,, and now I have a hosed box :-(

I used apt-get (on the CD) to upgrade, after being told by many of you it
was better than the .sh method.

I first edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file, so that it pointed at my
CDROM. Ie..

deb file:/cdrom/debian stable main

I then ran "apt-get update"

All appeared to be going well, no error messages etc. SO I continued to the