Re: netscape, slink, bus error

Rick Venable wrote:

> > > I also tried to get netscape via the slink distro at ftp.debian.org, but
> > > the 4.07 package there still lacked the binary, contrary to reports that
> > > "slink has a full netscape package".
>
> On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >       You need to look harder.  :-)  The packages holding the NS
> > binaries have '-smotif' or '-dmotif' in their names and are found in
> > non-free/web section.  I responded to an earlier question this way:
>
> I did include -smotif binary as one of the packages I selected, and
> still didn't get a binary (although it may have been 4.07, and not 4.5).

	00:00am ~$ dpkg -L communicator-smotif-45
	/.
	/usr
	/usr/lib
	/usr/lib/netscape
	/usr/lib/netscape/45
	/usr/lib/netscape/45/communicator
	/usr/lib/netscape/45/communicator/communicator-smotif
	/usr/lib/netscape/45/communicator/communicator-smotif.real
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                          This is the binary.

	/usr/lib/netscape/db
	/usr/lib/menu
	/usr/lib/menu/communicator-smotif-45
	/usr/doc
	/usr/doc/communicator-smotif-45

> >       XNLSPATH isn't the problem (It was only suggested as a
> > possible problem).  The locale problem (which I thought was solved a
> > long time ago - did you recently upgrade to slink?)  occurs because of
> > a missing /usr/lib/X11/locale directory.  Check this directory.  If
> > this isn't there (or its empty, or its a symlink) you can get this
> > locale directory from the xlib6g (part of X11) package (3.3.2.3a-8.1).
> > Confirm by checking for the existence of */locale/C/XLC_LOCALE (this,
> > IIRC, is what NS is looking for).
>
> Thanks.  I have been suspecting that the locale problem was a false
> trail, unrelated to the bus error.  I think some of my problems may be
> due to the local archive I used for my initial installation, which was
> loosely based on early slink (unstable).  I'm considering wiping my boot
> partition and starting over.

	That may be the only way.  Debian has come a long way, but the ideal of never
needing to reinstall isn't quite there yet.  I decided awhile back to install
fresh hamm to start over because of other problems.  Since then though, the
'automatic update' accomplished by ftp upgrade using dselect/apt has worked well
enough that I doubt I'll need to install fresh with either slink or potato.

--
Ed C.