[OFF TOPIC] xterm, rxvt, kvt and color arrgggh!

Let me preface by saying I'm a command line kinda guy so I haven't dealt
with X much.

Having said that, I'm responsible for keeping a bunch of naive X users
happy, so I'm learning as fast as I can.

After upgrading workstations from bo to hamm, funny things happen in
xterms (and cousins) with respect to color mapping.

Most noticeable in mutt and elm. I'm typing this message in vim under
mutt in a kvt under kde. My signature is underlined. Either vim (right
now) or mutt (when I look at a message) will detect the signature and
render it in a pleasing (?) contrasting color.

This is fine at a text console, but for whatever reason xterm (and
cousins) map this color to an underline. Somewhat annoying.

Editing an html file in vim under kvt is _really_ annoying.

I've been RTFMing X-related man pages until it hurts and I don't seem to
be making any progress.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. xterm or rxvt under afterstep
and kvt under kde are most often used. vim, elm, and mutt are the
applications that seem to be most problematic.

Thanks.
--
your man pann