RE:LD_LIBRARY_PATH and andrew

I installed the Andrew word processor on my linux box last night and
I followed the INSTALL instructions that said if I was not installing
into /usr/local/andrew I would need to define the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I did this in my .bash_profile and it works if I
run Andrew first after I log in KDM->KDE.  If I do a echo $LD...
then it reports the correct path.  If i run something else then Andrew
does not run because it can not find the libraries.  If I do a echo
$LD... then I just get a blank line.  Why?  Can anyone help here?
Thanks.

John