Re: [Fwd: Installing debian with Win98]

Tim Heuser wrote:

> I've got Windows 98 running on an 840 meg drive (c:) and drive
> d: as one big 6 gig drive to be divided up shortly.  I had a
> problem trying to load linux at the beginning of the d: drive
> and gave up for now needing the computer for other things.  I
> am about ready to try installing Linux again.
>
>   1. 1.  Has anyone gotten Linux and Win98 working on the same
>      machine?

I have installed it on a number of machines, but alway with 98
first then Linux.

>           2.  In the event something goes wrong, can I just
> remove what I've done and have
>                 Win98 still intact?

So long as you dont do anything to the partition that win98 is
on, then there is nothing that will affect it.  The only thing
you would do with the win98 patition is install the Linux boot
manager LILO.  This in itself will not harm win98, it just wont
let you boot into win98 untill you tell LILO that win98 exists,
edit the /etc/lilo.conf file to do so.

>           3.  Will the earth explode at 12:00:01 jan 1st 2000?

I hope so, I could do with a holiday....

--
John Stevenson, Objective Alliance: www.oa.nl
"Its grip'd, its sorted.."