Re: X toolkit warning

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 02:31:28PM -0200, Mário Olímpio de Menezes wrote:
> 	I'm running a program (cantata from Khoros www.khoral.com) and
> every time I access some dialogs I get a dialog warning box with a message
> like this:
>
> Warning: X Toolkit Warning: Actions not found:
> delete-next-character
>
> 	What is this?

I am not an experienced X programmer, but what I think is happening is
this:

The program is using an Athena Text Widget from libXaw.  (It has
something that looks like the edit area in xedit, which is in the
xcontrib package).  A number of actions are defined by the text
widget (forward-character, next-page, previous-page, end-of-file,
delete-previous-character, delete-next-character) and so forth.

It sounds like cantata is failing to provide a handler for the
delete-next-character() action, which is bound to the Delete key by
default in a Debian system.  Debian uses X resources to set this
property explicitly (on hamm systems, this setting is kept in the
/etc/X11/Xresources file).

Where I get fuzzy is whether the Athena widget set directly implements
these functions (I imagine it does), or if it simply provides hooks for
their implementation by the application programmer.  If the former, then
perhaps what happened was that the programmers of canata subclassed the
Athena text widget in some sloppy fashion and failed to handle the
delete-next-character() function.

Either way, the X Toolkit is expecting that event to be handled, and
nothing is.  It's not a fatal error, but as you noticed, it is annoying.

I am fairly confident that the fault lies with the program, however;
there are lots and lots of programs in the world that use the Athena
text widget, and I've only heard of two that have problems like this;
tkrat and stuff from Khoros. xedit, for instance, has no problem with
delete-next-character(), and since this is a documented function of the
Athena text widget I find it hard to imagine how this problem could be
X's fault.

Nevertheless, I welcome input from any folks who have written Xaw
programs in the Real World.

For futher reading: Chapter 5 of the Athena Widget Set manual in the
xbooks package: /usr/doc/xbooks/hardcopy/Xaw/widgets.PS.gz .

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   Mob rule isn't any prettier just because