Re: configuring serial port

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, CUNO wrote:
>
> > Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > > Multi part answer:
> > > 1) ttyS2 == COM 3 in dos/win
> > > 2) edit /etc/rc.boot/0setserial, disable autoprobing and set it manually
> > > 3) add "serial" to /etc/modules.conf so the modules and your changes
> > >    aren't unloaded when not in use.
> >
> > Hi Brandon,
> >
> > It works, thanx.
> > When I boot my system I get:
> > /dev/ttyS2 at 0x3e8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
> > 16450 is correct for an internal modem, isn't it ????
>
> Not sure.

You would want to put an UART of 16550A, do it in /etc/rc.boot/0setserial
and just change the uart argument.

> > When I run pppconfig and filled in everything and I give pon my modem
> > still doesn't work
> > ???
> > Can you help me on this one

Ok,
Q1: Is it a PnP modem? If it is, you will need to download and run
isapnptools
Q2: It seems that it's not a Winmodem, but just in case recheck.

ALso, try downloading wvdial package, it helps to configure the modem.
But I think that if the port is configured properly, and pon still can't
do anything ( When you run pon, do you hear a click when modem
initializes? Technicly, pon will not display anything. The only way you
know htat it worked is because you have the connection to the net, or just
check through plog, it will tell you why pon can not connect.)

Andrew
Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |