My PC's internal (built-in) speaker.

I suspect that my PC's internal speaker is not working (I have no sound card).
I am trying to avoid replacing it.
Is there a way that can convinced me that it is not working ? Is there a
possibility that some other device (my modem, for example, which is capable
of using it with WIN3.11 software) takes control over it ? Where the kernel is
referring the speaker ? What about a /dev/speaker ?

[21:19:22 shaul]$ grep -A4 speaker /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt
 13 char        PC speaker
                  0 = /dev/pcmixer      Emulates /dev/mixer
                  1 = /dev/pcsp         Emulates /dev/dsp (8-bit)
                  4 = /dev/pcaudio      Emulates /dev/audio
                  5 = /dev/pcsp16       Emulates /dev/dsp (16-bit)
[21:19:28 shaul]$ ls /dev/pcsp*
ls: /dev/pcsp*: No such file or directory
[21:20:06 shaul]$

Are these devices refer to the PC's internal speaker ? What are the programs
that can work with it ?