Re: Defragging large filesystems

"Eric Gillespie, Jr." <epgilles@pretzelnet.com> writes:

> I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. Seems to me
> fragmentation percentage would mean how much my files are fragmented. On
> all my other filesystems, the percentage is between 1 and 3. I can
> understand how the mp3 filesystem may have become so fragmented, with the
> constant deleting and moving around of files. And my question still hasn't
> been answered. How can I defragment it?

There is a defrag package:

Package: defrag
Version: 0.73-1
 As a file system is used, data tends to become more and more scattered
 over the disk, degrading performance.  A disk defragmenter simply
 reorganises the data on the disk, so that individual files occupy a
 single sequential set of disk blocks, and all the free space on the
 disk is collected together in a single region.  This generally means
 that reading a whole file is more efficient.
installed-size: 715

	Torsten