xbase XFree86 bug 24985 ?

I am having problems with xbase.  Would you help?

 I am having trouble installing xbase as indicated in chapter 5 of The
Debian Linux User's Guide.  I am using the cds that came with the book
(debian 2.0).   xbase version 3.3.2.2-4   I've installed a system from
scratch using 'Standard' collection of packages.  After that installed
successfully, I told it to install xbase and fvwm2 and all packages it
depended on plus SVGA support (I have a Sis 5597/5598 graphics card
according to HP tech. support.).

I get the following:
WARNING: An error has been found in this installation of the xbase
package.  The file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config should exist and it
does not.  Please file a bug report against the xbase package reporting
this fact.  See /usr/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt for information on
filing bugs.

When it tried to /usr/sbin/xbase-configure (XFree86 config file), it
said to press Enter to switch to graphics mode.  I did.  The screen came
up with a lot of black and white vertical lines.  Next, it turned
completely gray.  Finally a big black vertical bar showed up which was
movable by using the left/right arrow keys.  That's all I got.   After a
long time, I did a Ctrl/Alt/Backspace (and then hit a key) to get out of
there and back into text mode.

Does this problem sound like it relates to the outstanding bug
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/24/24985.html (Debian bug report logs
-#24985 installation of xbase_3.3.2.2-4 requests to file a bug report)?

In case it matters, I have a 6330 Hewlett Packard Pavillion.

Thanks,
Michael