Re: Installing .deb pkgs on other Linuxes?

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Hm, that's not accurate. Once a package is converted to your native package
> format with alien, your native package manager is aware of it. That's the
> point of converting the package.
>
> (BTW, did you get to SVLUG, George?)

I suppose I miscommunicated. If you use alien to make a .rpm, yes, the Red
Hat package manager will be aware of it but if you install dpkg on the
machine and install the .deb that way, the rpm package manager will not be
aware of anything you install with dpkg and vice-versa.

Yeah, I saw Stallman at Netscape last night. My opinion has not changed
... he is to one extreme what Microsoft is to the other. The answer is
probably somewhere in the middle.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!