Re: NFS mounted /home area from SGI computer, good idea?

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Alexander Kushnirenko wrote:

> So far it seems to me like a nice idea, I think I know how to organize it, but
> I don't know how good this idea actually is?  SGI disk on Linux computer...
> Are there any traps in doing that?

Yes. Linux uses different UID/GID assignments than SGI does for some
things. For example, if your home directories are owned by the staff
group, you might find them owned by the uucp group when mounted on your
Linux box.  As long as your linux box has the same UID for each user and
same GID for each group, you should be OK. Otherwise ... it can get really
weird!

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!