Dpkg serious troubles.

I decided to use dselect (prime time) to update my debian install a few
other things. (teTeX and apache... wanted to try them out)

A 49megs download was awaiting me. I left it alone most of the time, but
used some bandwidth here and there. I managed to crash the keyboard (would
not respond to *any* keypress) and windowmaker (0.20.2. The screen was
shifted by one inch to the left).

The problem is that whatever package I try to install I get and error
telling me that md5sum gave a bad output '<insert toaster's serial number
here>'. What that means and how can I fix it?

The consequences are pretty bad so far: I'm out of Xserver!

----
Christian Lavoie
UIN: 947212
E-Mail: clavoie@enter-net.com