Re: Modem connection speed

At 04:14 PM 10/30/98 -0500, Raymond A. Ingles wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
>
>> Just recently there was a posting here that said they got better
>> connection speed in Win95 than in Linux. A couple of days ago I heard
>> another Linux say the same thing. And so far, on a hamm box, I can only
>> get 19200 out of my 28800 pc card modem. Is this typical of Linux, or is
>> it just an improper init string or etc?
>
> Try "man setserial". It looks like your serial port is not getting
>configured properly. I think serial ports in Linux default to pretty
>conservative values. Try setting the rate to at least 38400. I'll bet that
>this is the main source of the problem.
>
> After that, start looking at init strings for the modem and such. The
>factory default settings ought to be okay, but there may be some things
>you can play with.
>
> Finally, there are a few options for pppd that can result in improved
>performance. Make sure that your asynchmap is 0 if at all possible. See if
>Van Jacobsen header compression is allowed. (The man page explains this
>stuff...)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735      ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

My problem turned out to be some bad default settings in the modem. It's a
hand-me-down modem, and the power-on/reset defaults had been set to use
19200 as the max speed. I could have changed the defaults, but I opted to
just add the correction in my init string. Now I'm getting 26400 out of
this 28800 modem, much better than the 19200 I was getting.