OFF TOPIC: help with SMB wierdness?

I've been messing around with writing a Tk frontend to smbclient
similar to the Micro$oft network neighborhood thing...one of these
doesn't exist, does it?  I've kinda run into a wall with testing my
program, however, because all of a sudden the browse lists from all
the workgroup masters on the network here have disappeared.  They have
been gone for about a week or two now and it's really messing with my
head; how could workgroups even exist if the masters don't have lists
of who is in their workgroups???  Does anyone know why this would have
happened and/or any other way that I could find out the names of the
machines in a given workgroup?

Thanks,
Eric.

--