Install to Removable HDD-results and Help

Hi,

I would like to report results of my effrot to install Debian to removable HDD, although this may well be known.
The difficuties I had originally trying to partition the removable HDD (/dev/hdb) were due to apparently incompatible formatting of the disk by Win95. After formatting and trying to partition with fdisk, the p command gave me a list of 4 primary partitions with a lot of fault messages. In the end I got over this by using the d command to delete these and repartition the disk.

Trying to install from CDROM, I managed to boot from the CDROM but pressing Return after the boot: prompt, I got the message "loading root.bin..." but then the computer apparently froze and I had to reset to reboot. I wonder what if any parameters I should enter after boot: to get the installation going?

Finally, can anyone please advise on the choice of primary/logical type for the partitions and which of the usual partitions (root,swap,user etc) should be of either type? I have a 1Gb hdd and 32 Mb ram.

Thanks

---
Neoklis Kyriazis      My Homepage: http://www.arcsite.de/hp/neoklis

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----