Installation on Toshiba 330CDT laptop

Hi everyone. I'm trying to install Debian on a Toshiba 330CDT laptop. I
have several years Unix use, but I've never tried to install Linux before.

I'm installing from CD, but I can't even get past the first page. I get
the following:
  boot:
and then the machine reboots, and round we go again.

I tried installing it from DOS using install.bat. I got through the whole
installation procedure but (as expected) when I tried to boot from hard
disk I got the same sort of thing:
  LILO Loading linux..............
and reboots again.

I also tried rawriting rescue floppies, but they did the same as the CD.
I tried both the normal and the Tecra versions of the rescue floppies.

The 330CDT has a 266 Pentium MMX chip. I'm using the i386 distribution
from www.linuxcentral.com. It says it's Linux 2.0.34 from kernel-image-
2.0.34_2.0.34-4. I'm hoping to run Windows 98 and Linux, so I've got a
Windows partition and IBM Boot Manager installed. I made a root primary
partition, and /usr, /home and /swap logical partitions for Linux.

Many thanks in advance for any help. Any more details about my computer,
please ask.

--
Stephen Turner    sret1@cam.ac.uk    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
Normally: Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England