Re: absolute beginner !

*- Ralph Winslow wrote about "Re: absolute beginner !"
| Peter Iannarelli wrote:
| >
| > Hay there absolute beginner:
| >
| > That pretty good for a first go around.
| >
| > To uncompress the .gz files. Use gunzip <file-name>.
|
| Rather than that you could leeve them compressed thereby saving sapce,
| and
|
| gzcat wherever/whatever.gz | less

Or you could put the following in your .login/.cshrc or whatever startup
file for your shell. (this works for my tcsh shell)

eval `/usr/bin/lesspipe`

and then less will automagically open all kinds of tar, gzip, etc files.

So then you just

less wherever/whatever.gz

Good luck,

--