dpkg-perl help

I've installed Debian Linux ver 2.0 as an alternative os to Windows on my
PC with a view to making this a permanent arrangement and learning Unix as
part of my studies.  However, on running dselect and trying to install
Standard Packages (or updates, etc.)  I constantly get the following
message:

"Oh dear, I need to install or upgrade dpkg-perl but I don't see the
appropriate file(s) anywhere.  I am expecting version (not given) or later,
as that is listed in the packages file."

It then mentions some material that I don't yet understand, and despite a
reasonably conscientious reading of available material, I seem to be no
further forward.  I have also downloaded programmer_ps which I believe to
be a dpkg manual but cannot view it in windows - do I need a binary viewer,
rename it or something?  Please help if you have time, I'm getting very
frustrated.
__
Brendan