Sml-nj requires libc6 , will this have problems with libc5?

Hi

	A while ago I wrote about setting up ML on my system. I am running 1.3.1
and have libc5 installed (ver 5.4.33-3).  In trying to install sml-nj, dpkg
tells me that I need libc6 (>=2.0.7u). Will I have problems if I install
libc6?  Will this conflict with libc5, will it over write it?  How will
this affect my programs in C and C++? is there a stable version of libc6
that I can use? Will it work with 1.3.1?  Where can I get libc6?  Is there
a way to get Sml-nj to work properly without libc6, using libc5?

	Thank you for your time and thoughts.

	Ken