RE: No Next

>From: 	Imran Geriskovan[SMTP:imrana@doruk.com.tr]
>Hi,
>
>I've installed Debian several times on several machines but got stuck with a
>problem on one machine.
>
>Problem is as follows:
>
>I follow all the steps that dinstall suggest me (i.e. Initialize a Linux
>Partion, Install device drivers, Conf Network, install etc......).
>When it comes to "Install Base System" dinstall ask me the path of
>"base2_0.tgz", I provide it, then it works a while (seems like installation
>in
>progress). But after then it drops back to dinstall menu with
>"Next: Install Base system" highlighted. No other "Next" s available.
>
>I manually select "Configure Base System". But at this time it says that
>"You have to install Base System to configure." :(
>
>Again I choose "Install Base System" but same thing happens.
>
>At the end I give up and reboot the machine with a boot floopy for the same
>partition. It boots and mounts /. However it ends up with blank screen with
>a prompt "#"!. Nothing else.
>
>Issuing "ls" displays the directories and files. (bin, usr, home, dev..)
>Seems like files are installed. But no configuration is done. (Not a
>surprise.
>Huh..)
>
>Any ideas?

I had almost this exact problem on a machine with no CD. I had
downloaded the minimal set of files from the Debian FTP site onto the
machine's hard disk in a DOS (Windows 95) partition, and installed from
that. I got exactly the same symptoms as you.

I couldn't fix this, no matter what I tried.

However, when I got hold of a CD shared across the network and
transferred the same files from the CD (FWIW, it was the CheapBytes
Debian 2.0 Binary CD), the install worked fine. I have NO IDEA what the
difference was...

Whether this is relevant to you, I'm not sure...

Paul.