Re: [ale] Locking up Linux (how to?)

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> > Well, the reason for even writing this question was to try to discover why my
> > box is spontaneously rebooting very often.  My only guess so far is that it's
> > a service attack, but I can't find anything.
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> As suggested by others, don't overlook hardware problems like a CPU fan going
> bad, power supply, reset switch, etc. I've personally had each of these go bad
> on me 8-) Try compiling a kernel, bad ram will show up very quickly as a SIG
> 11 (unless it is in the middle of the kernel itself). Try the SIG 11 web site
> and see if it can point you in the right direction:

Most common causes in MY experiance:

CPU overheat. This is caused by overclocking, running a machine without
all covers and panels in place, Cyrix 6x86 processor without the set6x86
package installed, too many disk drives in the case without enough airflow
(old scsi's are real heaters), poor thermal bonding between CPU and
heatsink, slow/dead CPU fan.

Things to look for: If overclocked, set clocks back to proper settings.
Does CPU have a dedicated fan or is there a large heatsink that "catches"
air from another fan somewhere in the case? If it is the heatsink/remote
fan configuration, make sure all case covers are in place and all unused
card slots are covered. This design depends on airflow moving in a
particular manner inside the case. If you remove the cover, air can
dissipate before reaching the heatsink.

Improve the thermal bonding between CPU heatsink and CPU. This is done
with white silicone heatsink compound sold in electronic parts stores.
This is NOT clear silicone dielectric grease, it is very white and stains
so be careful ... a little dab will do the trick. Put a thin film on the
heatsink where it contacts the CPU and reapply the heatsink. This can
improve heat transfer by an order of magnatude. One tuny tube of this
stuff will last a lifetime so share it with your friends at your next LUG
meeting.

Watch the CPU for a minute or two ... does its speed seem to change? If
so, replace it. Have the channels in the CPU heatsink filled with dust so
that the fan is doing no good? Compressed air in a can sold for cleaning
camera's works well here. Careful if you are alergic to dust. A
replacement fan sould be a high-quality ball-bearing fan, not the cheapo
ones. An extra $10 spent on the fan is a good investment in the future. A
cooler CPU will last a lot longer and perform better under load. Heat is
the #1 enemy of semiconductors.

Cyrix CPU? Get and install the 6x86 package. Run the rc.cyrix file it will
put in /etc/rc.boot or reboot the machine.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!