Re: xdm not working

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 02:14:09PM +0100, G. Kapetanios wrote:

> Following an earlier email concerning failure to look up a host adress
> which also prevented xdm from running I have included my ISP nameserver
> address in /etc/resolv.conf. Now xdm starts, I log in and the system waits
> before starting the window manager for some time I still havent waited
> long enough for the window manager to start as I close down the xserver.
> The question I have is how do you set up xdm for a system not conneted to
> the net and with loopback as the only network inteface.  I still have my
> kernel comiled with etherner support should IU recompile without ethernet
> support ?

You shouldn't have to recompile the kernel.

1) Do a "route -n" and see if any routes are going through your
Ethernet interface (especially the default route).  "route del" these
and comment out their lines in /etc/init.d/network.  The only route
that should exist when you're not actively on a network should be the
loopback.  This will ensure that applications get an immediate "network
unreachable" error rather than a delay, if they try to access outside
resources like a nameserver.  (Ah, if only Win95 had a routing table...)

2) If you use ppp or diald, they should automatically be deleting their
routes when they disconnect.  (Except that diald keeps its metric-1
slip routes.)  Pppd seems reliable in this regard but sometimes diald
seems to leave bogus routes in, and I have to stop and restart it.

3) Look at /etc/nsswitch.conf.  There should be a line "hosts: files dns".
Make sure the "dns" is after "files", not before, or that will also cause a
delay.  I also have a "networks: files" line in there.

4) /etc/resolv.conf should have your ISP's nameserver, as you said.

I don't use xdm much, so I don't know if there's anything in the xdm
configuration that would need to be changed.  Presumably it would be
something in /etc/X11/xdm if so.