xdm not working

Following an earlier email concerning failure to look up a host adress
which also prevented xdm from running I have included my ISP nameserver
address in /etc/resolv.conf. Now xdm starts, I log in and the system waits
before starting the window manager for some time I still havent waited
long enough for the window manager to start as I close down the xserver.
The question I have is how do you set up xdm for a system not conneted to
the net and with loopback as the only network inteface.  I still have my
kernel comiled with etherner support should IU recompile without ethernet
support ?
Any help will be greatly appreciated
George

George Kapetanios