Re: 3com905B cyclone not working

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:

> I have a problem getting a 3com905B cyclone ethernet card to work under
> linux on a fresh debian 2.0 system.  The card functions OK under
> win95.  I think the problem is that the card thinks the network is
> 100MBit ethernet, whereas it is only 10MBit.  The kernel I compiled is
> 2.0.34, and it prints the following:
>
> eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xe800, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, IRQ 9
> 1024 K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/NWay

Hmmm, we had a wee bit of a problem with that card as well, but rather the
other way round: It only ran 10 MBit on a 100MBit network with 2.0.35.
I couldn't get it to run on 2.0.34 at all, thus I'd recommend using the
2.0.35 kernel from debian slink (2.1 development release).
To solve the Media autodetection problem I then downloaded the latest test
driver 3c59x.c from Donald Becker's site cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov and used it
as drop-in replacement to the kernel source tree (i.e. copy it to
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net, you might try doing this to the 2.0.34
kernel first if you don't feel like downloading 7 Megs)...

3Com really blew it this time, the card has not been released too long and
the fourth revision is out already (look at the Parallel Tasking chip,
ours is 004 now, the 001 version didn't find our BootROMs after quitting
Windows). The performance seems to lag behind the brilliant Tulip's from
Digital or Intel's chipsets as well...

       /(__  __|\          Lars Steinke, Research Student @
      (    \/  __)_        www.fmf.uni-freiburg.de, Germany
       )   (_____  /       for PGP PKey and WWW-Page finger