Re: Xwindows working... sorta

Hello chris.

Christopher Jay Stevenson wrote:

> Well, thanks to you guys, my mouse is working...
> It's just that X isn't...
> Hmm...
> What I get is an xdm that has the login on the lower right of the screen,
> and cut-off as well, almost as if the resolution isn't correct. (It seemed
> as if I had a virtual desktop of 2x2 size.)
>
> My monitor is 1280x1024 (15").

I didn understand what youre getting, are you getting somethig that ask for you to
login in the right lower corner and when you put your mouse in the right corner the
login-windows moves to the left?? Well, thats becouse you virtual display is greater
than the real one. It has advantages and disadvantages....

> On another note... how do I mount drives on startup. I asked this question
> before, but I didn't understand the answer.
> Here's what I do as root.
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win95_part
>
> Now... how do I 'automate this.
>
> perhaps something like
>
> mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cd_rom
>
> might be usefull as well. (how do I go about that?)
>
> I think that I have to modify a file (/etc/fstab?), but with a program, or
> just do a "cat - >> /etc/fstab"?
>
> Thanks for putting up w/ newbies like yours truly.
>
> ---starfox
>
> Chris Stevenson
>
> --

yes fstab is the file thats been read at the start....

you can see mine:

#
/dev/hda3       /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro   0      1
/dev/hda5               none            swap    sw          0       0
/dev/hda6       /mnt    vfat
<------------------------- `The line'
proc                /proc           proc    defaults    0       0

i have edit it (as root) and put `the line' inside so i can share a drive space with
win95....

You can put that line as you want. With an `ugly' editor from a console such as `ae',
you can use an editor for X as xedit of gedit from gnome, or just doing it in a
command line:

echo "/dev/hda6       /mnt    vfat" >> /etc/fstab

echo "" will print whats in "", >> will add the output, /etc/fstab is the file you
want to output whats inside "".
it importans that you use >>, this will ADD something. If you use just > this will
put watever you have inside "" as the `absolute' text (it will REMOVE all whats
inside fstab and replace it with your text..be cearfull  8-]     .....

for see how to use ae put `man ae' in a prompt....

PS: dont mess yourself with vi, its a little complicated.... (i did never learn
it...)

                       /      Phillip  Neumann       /
                      /     filsin@bigfoot.com      /