Re: on dpkg usage

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 10:48:59AM +0800, chadi@cebu.pworld.net.ph wrote:
> hi all !!!
>   may i know whats the difference between using "dpkg -i filename.deb" and "dpkg --configure filename.deb" ... and which is probably the best option AND w/c one does a check whether u have violated some package rules like installing conflicts ... tenks

      Chad, run man dpkg.  The man page explains each of the
actions in good detail.  --configure unpacks new configuration files
and backs up old ones, then runs the postinst script.  -i or
--install does six steps--from package extraction to configuration.
The man page goes into much better detail than I have here, so
read it.  ...hope this helped.

     I tend to run dpkg -i package.deb most of the time when I
need to install and configure only or two packages that can't be
installed with apt-get or dselect (use dpkg rarely now, in other
words).

Art