Still having trouble installing Debian.

Let me try this again. It appears that my previous email was not
completely sent.

I have been trying to install Debian Linux for over a week now. First
after downloading and installing the base system, I began to go through
the pppconfig routine but I found out that every time that I tried to
log onto my isp I would get a disconnection after 30 seconds. I tried
several kinds of configuration on my /etc/chatscripts/provider file but
nothing seemed to work. So I decided to use WS_FTP and download all of
the Debian distribution through FTP at the ftp.debian.org site. I
downloaded all of the files that were contained in the binary-i396
directory keeping the directory structure intact. Then I began to
install Debian using dselect. Dselect seemed to recognize where my
Debian distribution was located ( /dev/hda7 ) , but when I tried to
install the files that I selected dselect replied with the following
message :

" Looking for part 1 of dpkg-perl...

  Oh dear, I need to install or upgrade dpkg-perl, but I do not  see the
appropriate files anywhere. I'm expecting version or later as that is
listed in the packages file.
  Perhaps you downloaded it with an unexpected name or something. In any
case, you must find the file(s) and then either place it with the
correct filenames ( as listed in the Packages file or in
/var/lib/dpkg/availible ) and return the installation or upgrade the
package by using 'dpkg --install -auto-deconfigure' by hand.

installation script returned error exit status 1.     "

I checked my Debian files and dpkg-perl_0.1-2hamm1.deb is located in my
devel directory. I do not know what to do next except to start reading
the dselect and dpkg HOWTO files at the LDP web site.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and your badly needed
help

Monte Copeland
Knoxville TN USA