Re: Best way to install debian 2 without bootable cd?

At 10:19 AM 10/4/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have installed debian before via floppies and ftp. now i have the
>cheapbytes disks and i cannot read my cdrom from dos, it works on
>windows 95.so i would appreciate any hints from the list.
>
>thanks,
>
>allan bart
>

>==
>Allan W. Bart, Jr.
>Strategic Analyst

As a general rule, the install disk (resc1440.bin) disk will recognize your
CD drive (assuming you're doing a fresh install on this machine).

I *believe* the kernal has support for most CD drives, so if this is not a
fresh install, you may just need to mount the cd (step 1: make a directory
called /cdrom or something similar; step 2: mount (or add line to
/etc/fstab) the cdrom); I'm not sure of the syntax for this, but if you get
stumped holler back and I'll get more detailed.

If you're just trying to get to the CD drive from DOS (rather than Linux or
Win95, you need a line in your CONFIG.SYS file and a line in your
AUTOEXEC.BAT file. The CONFIG.SYS line will lock something like
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\GENERIC_CD.SYS
with some other stuff at the end of the line.
(of course, the directory and the name of the file will vary depending on
the manufacturer). You can look in CONFIG.OLD and CONFIG.00x and CONFIG.WIN
and CONFIG.DOS and maybe find the line you're looking for. If not, you may
have a disk provided by the computer vendor that says something like "If
you need to restore your system, boot off this floppy and follow the
on-screen instructions". Most of the time you can find the line you need in
the CONFIG.SYS of that floppy. The AUTOEXEC.BAT line will look something like
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE
with some other stuff at the end of the line. You can probably find that
line in AUTOEXEC.OLD, etc or on the vendor-supplied restore floppy. Of
course, some vendors make it harder than this, so these suggestions might
not help you much.

Kent
Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!