Re: can any user have the right of root and can lunch Netscape

Jim Foltz <aa204@acorn.net> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 09:31:53AM +0800, Chan Min Wai wrote:
> > Hai,
> >     I'm asking about that can a user have the rithr of root and can
> > lunch netscape as well in Xwin..
>
> Any user can start X windows if it is intalled properly. Any user can start
> netscape if it is intalled properly. Root user is not needed to run X
> windows or netscape.
>
> Do you have X windows and netscape installed properly?

I think the question is whether one can run netscape as root.
Currently, the debian netscape script prevents this (for good reasons,
I think).  It's possible to run netscape directly (bypassing debian
scripts) by doing something like:
MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/lib/netscape /usr/lib/netscape/netscape

However, I'd _strongly_ recommend against it.  Much better (if you
need to run netscape, but you're logged in as root) is to do:
su -c "xauth add `xauth list $DISPLAY`" dcmwai
su -c netscape dcmwai

Instead of "dcmwai" you should use your non-root username.  This runs
netscape as dcmwai, not as root, but displays it on your screen.

Another possibility (which is what I do) is to never log in as root,
but use "su" or "sudo" whenever one needs to do something as root.