Re: Iomega Zip

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 11:39:48PM -0500, dsb3 wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Unless my memory fails me, I've formatted a zip disk in ext2 complete with
> > swap partition and installed linux.  I did this at the beginning of the
> > year when I had access to a zip drive - I still have the disk but alas
> > don't have a drive so can't verify exactly whats on there...
> >
> > Anyway, the point of what I want to say is this.  Why bother with ext2 on
> > a zip disk.  You're most likely going to use it to move files between
> > computer 1 and computer 2.  Possibly to take files from computer 1 and
> > archive them offline someplace.  Why do you need ext2?
>
> Long file names, permissions, its far faster (linux much prefers ext2 to any
> other format).  Besides, I like showing the limitations of windows machines
> "I can read your disk but you can't read mine" - improved security I guess
> :-)

Well thank goodness somebody sorted the low/high level formatting argument.

I do use ext2 for my jaz disks, as I believe it's a more reliable
filesystem, and that becomes increasingly important for large disks.

But I don't bother with anything but FAT16 for floppies and zips (used
through the parallel port). However, I get long filenames, permissions
etc.

How? Well everything is zipped up in zipfiles. (That's infozip zip, not
iomega zip, of course.) The great advantage is that you can view or unzip
any file on anybody's PC, particularly if you make sure there's a copy
of unzip512.exe on every disk.

Cheers,