Re: Time is fouled

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Steven Udell wrote:

> Hello Debian Users,
>
> I am having a difficult time with my system displaying the
> current time.  I have checked my main boards bios and that
> has the correct settings. I have used hwclock & date settings
> to bring the correct time to Linux, its ok if I keep the machine
> up, but If I shut down over night and bring it up again
> during the next day or whatever, time is again messed up.
>
> Things I have attempted to use:
>
> hwclock --set --date="9/22/96 16:45:05"
> hwclock --hctosys
> hwclock --systoch

Did you mean 'hwclock --systohc'?

That is the correct format for setting the hardware clock from the system
time.

If it is not being kept reasonably close when rebooting, I would
suspect a hardware problem.  It might be a symptom that the battery is
nearing the end of its life (if so, the next thing to go will be the BIOS
settings).  However, since you said it looks correct in the BIOS, it is
probably a configuration problem (see below).

> date -s "Sep 23 HH:MM 1998" ; hwclock -w
>
> None of these keep the date nor time after a reboot.
>
> I am wondering whats screwed up, yes I'd like to
> have local time, as when I installed Debian,
> I chose for local time setting PSDT....
>
> But if this is the reason for it messing up, or
> I should look somewhere where it might be messing up
> and edit it, (where would I look) I could change it
> or how would I fix this?

Does it always reboot with the same offset from local time?  If so, that
would indicate your system is misconfigured, in which case you should run
tzconfig.  It should work correctly with either local time or UTC.

Bob

----