HELP: Newbie with communicator 4.06 problem

I just downloaded Communicator 4.06 and also 4.5, and am having the same
problems in both of them. They seem to work ok for a variable amount of
time (3 or 4 minutes), bringing up a few sites, bringing up Help
Contents, and allowing me to set preferences, then the trouble begins:

1.Unable to create a network socket connection on any site, including
Cool, etc.

2. Hitting Help Contents gives nothing until I hit Stop (tired of
waiting) at which point it says unable to find the help file on disk.

3. When I try to get Mail, I get "Default inbox folder does not exist."
Trying to get mail seems to initiate the problems, but they can start
without that.

4. When I try to change preferences, I get "Error saving options. Too
many files open". When I try save options for Mail Server, I several
times got "Warning: mail host"mail.rdc1.bc.wave.home.com" is unknown,
even tho it accepted these at the beginning, when trouble hadn't
started.

Once trouble starts, these manifestations continue until I exit and
restart.

I have installed 4.06 three times, twice on a directory of my choosing
and once on the default. Same problems with 4.5.

I am running Debian 1.3.1, and ISP provider is cable. I have not used
the deb netscape installer because I tried it with 4.04 and it removed
my only reliable Netscape, 3.04, and then aborted on the installation of
4.04 :-(

Any help would be much appreciated.

Albert Hurd