Re: KDE installed somewhat brokenly...

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 09:12:25AM -0600, Young, Ed wrote:
> [stuff deleted]
>
> Problem 1) I'm unable to change the icon for emacs on the task bar because
> it says I don't have the proper permissions.
Yes, this is normal. The icons on the taskbar are system-wide and therefore
owned by root. Launch kfmsu and go fudge around in /usr/share/applnk.

> Problem 2) When running the CD data base (CDDB). It goes out and searches
> for the CD's contents and returns with all the tracks and title, etc. (very
> cool) When I want to save that info for the next time I play the CD, it asks
> me to catagorize the CD, but there are no catagories to choose from and no
> areas to edit my own. It then errors out saying that I haven't chosen a
> catagory. The database data is not saved.
Sounds like the CDDB cache directories do not exist or have the wrong perms.
It looks like mine gets stored in /var/lib/cddb, with these perms on the dir:
drwxrwsr-t  13 root     audio        1024 Jul 14 03:41 cddb/

and these on the subdirs:
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 blues/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 classical/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 country/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 data/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 folk/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 jazz/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 misc/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 newage/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 reggae/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 rock/
drwxrwsr-t   2 root     audio        1024 Jul 12 12:45 soundtrack/

> Problem 3) Maybe not a problem, but security issue. When logging out there's
> an option to shutdown. It should, probobly prompt for the root password
> before actualy shutdown.
Can you actually use the shutdown button? In some cases it will be there but
will not work because of permissions. In any case, it can be disabled in your
kdm config file, in /etc/kde/kdmrc. Mine says:
ShutdownButton=ConsoleOnly
Which means if kdm is running on the local console, it will show the shutdown
button. According to the KDM docs (in /usr/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdm):
   ShutdownButton, Shutdown and Restart
          ShutdownButton controls when the shutdown button is displayed
          and can be one of All, None, RootOnly and ConsoleOnly. Shutdown
          and Restart are the commands to run on shutdown/restart. They
          default to /sbin/halt and /sbin/reboot.

> Is the kde implementation for Debian somewhat unstable?
It's been working fine for me, I think you just haven't done enough research.

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :