Re: MAJOR installation troubles :)

> James Patrick Galvin, Jr. wrote:
>
> Hey, I'm currently trying to install Debian Linux on my
> machine.  It is definatly more than adequate to install
> it on, but of course I'm haveing technical problems
> which hopefully someone can help me resolve.  I have a
> 10 gig HD on 1 partition running Windows 98.  I ran FIPS
> and split my HD so Win98 is using like 80 percent and a
> new partition 'D:' has 20 percent, but I cannot access
> D:. When I type D: at a DOS prompt I get an error saying
> can't access drive or something.

You do not have to access the D drive from dos/windows.
The most important thing that FIPS does is to resize your
windows partiton "nondestructively" and leave the free
space where you can create your linux partitions.

  The other problem I
> have it I downloaded the files resc1440.bin drv1440.bin
> base2_0.tgz root.bin linux install.bat and loadlin.exe
> into the directory C:\Linux Installation Files on my
> machine and then I ran install.bat from MS-DOS, but it
> said Kernel Fault: VGX<or something> and then it said a
> little more,  but it stopped I waited a second and
> nothing happened.  So I reset my machine and tried
> running install.bat 1 more time but got the same thing.
> I really don't know what to do.  Do I need to format my
> new partition, or is it fine like it is?  What should I
> do to install Linux?  Please help. :)

Same thing happened to me. I was doing an ftp install, so
I only had to d/load few files before starting. What I did
and what I recommend to you is:

1) Create directory c:\debian
2) Copy all reqiered files as listed in the there (do not
forget linux file as I did ;-))
3) write the resc1440.bin to a floppy using rawrite.exe
4) boot with that floppy and start instalation
5) During instalation always choose the install from a
hard drive option and enter your
   c:\debian ditrectory
6) Do everithing else as was said in the install.exe