MAJOR installation troubles :)

Hey, I'm currently trying to install Debian Linux on my machine.  It is definatly more than adequate to install it on, but of course I'm haveing technical problems which hopefully someone can help me resolve.  I have a 10 gig HD on 1 partition running Windows 98.  I ran FIPS and split my HD so Win98 is using like 80 percent and a new partition 'D:' has 20 percent, but I cannot access D:. When I type D: at a DOS prompt I get an error saying can't access drive or something.  The other problem I have it I downloaded the files resc1440.bin drv1440.bin base2_0.tgz root.bin linux install.bat and loadlin.exe into the directory C:\Linux Installation Files on my machine and then I ran install.bat from MS-DOS, but it said Kernel Fault: VGX<or something> and then it said a little more,  but it stopped I waited a second and nothing happened.  So I reset my machine and tried running install.bat 1 more time but got the same thing.  I really don't know what to do.  Do I need to format my new partition, or is it fine like it is?  What should I do to install Linux?  Please help. :)

Thanks for any help,
Jim
jgalvinjr@hotmail.com