Re: School Proof-of-concept network

adavis@netpci.com wrote:

> It is a vision of mine that linux will be used more in schools, making more
> computing resources available, without encumbrances of commercial software.

snip

> 486 linux garbage can computer (in part to show what can be done).

Should be fine for the job.

snip

> I expect that macs will predominate, so they will be connected by appletalk
> to the linux gateway.

Get an appletalk card for the server pc if you have appletalk in use
already, otherwise ethernet will work much better/faster.  One appletalk
card would cost less than several ethernet cards for demo purposes if
you have appletalk already in use, but for the final configuration I
would go ethernet.  Use ethernet for any PCs that you have since it will
probably cost less and provide better performance.  If you get to
ethernet the MACs, save the appletalk stuff for quickie addons/expansion
until you can get them setup on ethernet.

> I would like to request some pointers to help plan this proposed network.
> I need something on paper within days.  What is the cheapest way, what is

Appletalk - cheap but lo performance (OK for demo)
Ethernet - not that much more but good performance

> the best way?   And, more to the point, on this list, AM I OVER-ESTIMATING
> MY ABILITY?  (How much potential is there to fail?).  I think this is a

>From my experience there is much potential to stumble but not to fail.
You may have to backup and look at things a bit and ask many questions
but it will work with Debian.

> fairlyi simple network.  I don't have any networking experience.

I have been using Linux or Unix for much less time than you and have a
local net consisting of PCs (Linux), MAC, Unix minis and VAXs which
works fine.  All of my system is with ethernet (coax), but I see no
reason that you can't use appletalk for some of it.  Set up DIALD to
make the PPP connection for you using the fastest modem you can get.  IP
masquerading worked out of the box on Debian 2.0 for me, just get the
packages and install the modules.  Also use a forwarding/caching only
DNS server to speed things up.  It takes some studying and a little work
but it works beautifully.  You will probably wont to compile you own
kernel before its all over, but you can go with stock distribution for a
demo.

John