Boot floppy problems

I am trying to install hamm on my home machine, from cdrom.
I can't boot a CD directly, so I tried to make a rescue floppy and boot
that.

The machine has 2 ide drives, and 5 scsi devices:
0:500M harddisk, 1:1200M harddisk, 2:cdrom, 4:40M harddisk, 5:tape drive

I want to put linux on the first 2 scsi drives.  The machine also runs
os/2 with no problems.  The scsi controller is an adaptec 2940.

The first diskette boot stopped in an endless loop with scsi error
messages.  Removing power from the old 40M harddisk fixed it, but that is
not a permanent solution.  I want to keep an emergency boot system on that
drive.  The messages was several lines scrolling quicly, with something
like "scsi 0:-1:-1:-1 Bad scbptr 16 during SELTO" and some other stuff.
Do anybody know what to to about this?

The second try got a bit further.  No scsi problems, but still failure.
The last lines written to the console were:
Msdos fs rel....(something)
transaction block size 512
Kernel panic :VFS unable to mount root fs on 01:00

Could this merely be a bad floppy, or am I doing something wrong? I have
trouble making those floppies, the rawrite2 program will usually complain
about 64k DMA problems.  It works now and then though.  I am running
rawrite2 under os/2, I don't have msdos around any more.

Helge Hafting