Re: help rescuing a crashed hard drive

On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 12:11:59PM -0400, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, JonesMB wrote:
>
> > Are there any utilities that I can use to salvage data from a drive that the
> > BIOS reports as dead?
> >
> > This morning I woke up to a ticking sound from my hard drive.  It is a 5.7GB
> > Seagate drive I upgraded to about 6 weeks ago.
>
> When you hear strange sounds from it, give up.  You may be able to send
> the drive off to someone who will open it up and try to read from the
> platters themself.  But I think that's big money, and you have to have
> some pretty important non-recoverable info for that.  My vote is for a
> reinstall and a tape drive.
>
> Sorry,
> Brandon
>
> P.S. I've been through bad sounding harddrives before on a western digital
> replacement harddrive less than a week after I had the previous one
> replaced for bad blocks.

This is exactly why it is a very good idea to stress test your hardware for
several days before actually using it. Try to break it before your warranty
expires, and before you actually need it (with data media).

The chip companies stress test their chips, too, and sell the good ones for
more money ("military quality" or something like that). You can do the same,
as long as you do nothing to void your warranty.

Marcus