help rescuing a crashed hard drive

Are there any utilities that I can use to salvage data from a drive that the
BIOS reports as dead?

This morning I woke up to a ticking sound from my hard drive.  It is a 5.7GB
Seagate drive I upgraded to about 6 weeks ago.  I had an xconsole up and
messages in there indicate that the messages were logged from around 7am that
the system was having trouble writing to /dev/hda.
All my other X windows were frozen so I had to restart the machine.  During
the POST the computer reported that the hard disk had failed and did not boot
from it.  When the drive spins I can hear a sound like something is rubbing.
The drive is only a few weeks old and I intend to get it replaced by the
vendor as soon as I salvage my data from it.

The drive was partitioned into several slices in / /var /usr /etc /home /tmp
//backup /dos_drive_c and /dos_drive_d.  What I would really like to
rescue is /home and /dos_drive_d as these are the partitions with my data.
All the rest can be recreated by reinstalling some of my applications.  The
machine runs both Win95 / Linux (Debian 2.0 with kernel 2.0.34) .  My backup
plan has been to copy some of my data to /backup.  This happens on Monday
mornings so the data in there is a week old.  It is also unwisely on the same
drive as the crashed drive.  Dumb move on my part.  I'll have to change that
to backup to another drive.

Sorry I got so long winded but starting the week with a bad drive is not my
idea of fun.  Any help is appreciated.

later
jmb

----
Jones MB : <jonesmb@ziplink.net>
           http://www.ziplink.net/~jonesmb/

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced