Re: Kernel 2.0.31 won't compile

On 3 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  Mark> The links I created were:
>  SNIP
> 	I compile kernels in /usr/local all the time, and I never have
>  created any of these links ... they are not required.

I made the links because that's what the README file for the linux
kernel says to do.  As you see:

 - make sure your /usr/include/asm, /usr/include/linux, and /usr/include/scsi
   directories are just symlinks to the kernel sources:

                cd /usr/include
                rm -rf asm linux scsi
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi

I had thought that I should follow the instructions in the kernel
README, but perhaps the README is just over cautious??

I notice that in Debian, these directories seem to be provided by
the libc6-dev package.  Are you saying that providing libc6-dev is kept
reasonably uptodate, these links are not necessary?

Cheers,

Mark.