Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

Hi,
>>"George" == George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com> writes:

 George> The bottom line is this:

 George> If the Linux distributions do not share a common filesystem
 George> layout and to some basic degree a common set of libraries,
 George> software vendors will simply pick one distribution as the
 George> development target and not support other distributions. This
 George> is already happening to some extent. The distributions that
 George> are close enough to the main target will be supported and the
 George> fringe distributions will simply not be supported by the
 George> ISV's because it will be too labor intensive and too small of
 George> a market to matter.

	Known issues. What do you think the FSSTND and the FHS are all
 about? Debian is committed to following them. When the other
 distributions start following standards, we shall have the
 commonality you desire.

	The software base is supposed to be the missing half of that.

	I think that Debian is unlikely to be suppoerted by most
 ISV's. (Ever see a thrid party .deb package? apart from the abortive
 KDE set?)

	manoj
--
 "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
 Albert Einstein On Knowledge