Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

Hi,

	I don't uderstand. The are Linux illiterate, and they display
 all the discerning qualities of 2 year olds, they do not want to shop
 around and learn about the merits of the distribution, and they do
 not want to spend time because they are no hobbyists.

	Why do I want them then? Seems to mee that Red Hat makes a
 fine distribution of Linux for them. They do not seem like people who
 cintribute to the community.

	manoj
 community, not world domination

>>"George" == George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com> writes:

 George> Brian, these people do not use Windows, they want to use Unix
 George> because that is what they know. They are just not familliar
 George> with Linux in general. They never touch the internet after
 George> work and in general, have lives. They are not Unix
 George> illiterate, they are Linux illiterate.

 George> You guys need to get out of your little world and step back
 George> and look and the big picture. Yes, there are a lot of people
 George> using Linux and just about everyone has heard the word
 George> before. Most in the commercial Unix world have never seen a
 George> Linux machine running, have never considered installing one
 George> until very recently or have just run into it.  In our case,
 George> the old-timers were laughing Linux off as another toy OS (and
 George> in some ways the 2.0 kernels are) and it has not been until
 George> they started getting questions from customers that they start
 George> coming to me and asking because I am the company Linux
 George> advocate.

 George> These are people that work all day on computers and do not
 George> want to look at one when they get home.  They are not
 George> computer hobbyists.

--
 "We jumped into this area without knowing what we were jumping into."
 Hubert H. Humphrey, October 22, 1969