Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> There are two solutions to this problem:
> 1) change the next release number to 99
> 2) install windows 98
> After all, they have a higher version number, so it must be a superior
> product.
> <humor>
>
> Moral of the story, version numbers are specific to the product, don't
> bother comparing.

Jeez, I never said I had trouble with it, only that it is confusing to
people in the real unix world that have not been exposed to it. Get it
through your head that not everyone that uses Unix has ever seen a Linux
machine, has ever looked at a Linux website, or has even seriously
considered installing it anywhere. These people tend to have a SPARC2 or
better on their desk at home running Solaris or maybe an IPC or IPX
running SunOS.

WHen you say Linux they want to know if it is *BSD or SVR4. That is all
they know and they know it extremely well.

Of about 60 Unix people in our company about 4 have probably seen a Linux
machine. Most of our people are applications people ... ClearCase for
example does not run on Linux and those people are likely to never see a
linux box in their work. They use either Solaris or Windows at home.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?