Re: Install 2.0 via FTP: doesn't like a 28.8 modem the OS/2 partition likes.

I don't know enough to really be of help, but one test that will at least
let you see if the system is seeing the modem is the following:
    echo ATDT<somephonenumber> > /dev/ttyS<x>
where <somephonenumber> is a valid phone number, such as maybe a cell phone
you've got handy, so you can see if it rings, and <x> is the terminal
number your modem is connected to (0 corresponds to COM1 in the DOS/Win
world, 1 corresponds to COM2, etc).

So if your second phone line or cell phone, etc number is 555-1234, and
your modem is on COM3, you'd enter:
	echo ATDT5551234 > /dev/ttyS4

After you verify that the modem is dialing (your cell phone rings, and you
pick it up and hear your modem screeching), you can hang up the phone with:
	echo ATZ > /dev/ttyS4

Hope this is of some help.

At 02:16 AM 8/2/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Brief summary:
>
>In installed from the boot disk, booted to the linux partition, but
>"pon" can't create a ppp connection to my ISP to install the rest via
>FTP.
>
>My system:
>
>486DX75, approx 800 meg IDE hard drive (western digital I think), local
>bus, IDE CD-ROM (which OS/2 insists is a "Sony
>CDU-55D,55E,76E,760E,77E"... hey, it works), an IDE (well, ATAPI) zip
>drive, 3.5 drive A, 5.25 drive B, an 8 bit sound blaster from the dawn
>of time, a local bus "does everything" type I/O controller that probably
>has a garage door opener on it somewhere...
>
>The problem component seems to be my generic 28.8 internal modem using 8
>bits of a 16 bit ISA slot on COM3 using standard port/IRQ address.
>(COM1 is built into that controller card, but disabled via jumper.  OS/2
>detects and used this modem just fine, I'm using it from my recently
>shrunk (guess why) OS/2 partition to send email.)
>
>The debian boot disks went down fine, I have a debian partition
>installed on partition hd6 (OS/2's useless boot manager, OS/2 itself,
>linux swap, and linux itself.)  It boots from a floppy to get to it, I
>can login as root and cd around to my heart's content.
>
>The "pon" script exits immediately of course, but "ps a" says it fired
>off pppd which in turn fired off chat.  After around 30 seconds, chat
>exits, so does pppd, and I still don't have a connection for dconfig to
>FTP the rest of the base system through.  I copied all my ppp config
>(user name, password, phone number) info from my OS/2 ppp dialer, where
>it works, and entered it when prompted by install.  Double-checked, it
>is correct.  (I even started over, reformatted and did all seven boot
>disks again with the same result).  I've tried both ATZ and the init
>string I hacked together way back before I misplaced the modem manual:
>"AT&FE1M0&C1&D2W2".  Same result both times.  As far as I can tell, it's
>not even picking up the phone.
>
>Drawing on the fragments of unix I know from college (sunos 4) and a
>little dabbling with AIX at IBM, I did the following, which may be a big
>red herring for all I know:
>
>on the alt-f1 tty:
>cp /dev/ttyS2 /dev/console
>
>on the alt-f2 tty:
>cp /dev/console /dev/ttyS2
>
>(If there's a dumb terminal program built into the OS, please let me
>know...)
>
>On alt-F2 I can type in ATDT[ENTER] and get the modem to pick up the
>phone, but only after about a fifteen second delay.  It takes about the
>same amount of time for ATH0[ENTER] to hang up the phone.  (Way back in
>the dark ages I used a 300 baud modem, and it was WAY faster than this
>response time.)  I sometimes (unpredictably) get my commands echoed back
>to me on the alt-f1 console, and sometimes even a return code.  The
>return code is numeric, despite the fact the long init string (Which
> [...]
Kent West			| Technology Support/                 		|
Abilene Christian University	| Voice: 915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724	|
ACU Station, Box 29005	| E-MAIL: kent.west@infotech.acu.edu		|
Abilene, TX  79699-9005	| Ham:    KC5ENO, General			|